Sunday, August 25, 2013

Mountains vs. Molehills

I have been trying to do things that are adventurous that I haven't tried before. This weekend after talking to my friend Jamison we decided to go rock climbing!! I was scared and excited all at the same time, mainly because we were going bouldering which meant we were doing it without ropes.

We went to Central Rock Gym in Worcester. Basically right up the street from my house! I can't tell you how many times I have driven by this place and NEVER been inside.

We walk in and I of course had to fill out a waiver; you know in case I die. We had to rent shoes too, I started with my normal shoe size 11 and had to go up a half size. Jamison and I wore the same size shoe. That either says something about me or something about him. This is the what the rock walls look like from up where the cardio equipment is...

To the right of the giant wall in the middle is the smaller wall where you do the bouldering. All the climbing trails are labeled starting at V0 going up to V10. 0 being the easiest and 10 being the most difficult. I was only able to successfully complete a V0, I attempted V1, V2 but only got about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way up.

Here it the thing I understand that most of year strength comes from your legs. I wasn't really using upper body strength in the sense of pulling myself up or anything. What I was having a problem with was that you have to have a descent grip for the hand holds. I now understand just how much of a workout this is for your forearms! Imagine making a fist and then hold it like that for an hour. As soon as you make the fist you can feel your forearm tense up. While I was climbing my feet hurt slightly but that was more because the foot holds were awkwardly shaped and digging into my feet not due to over use of those muscles. My legs were completely fine. I guess all that biking & running has certainly paid off. By about halfway through the time we spent there my hands and arms were aching.

I watched others climbing all around me and let me tell you they were very impressive. There were several people who would be hanging by their hands, swing their feet to a tiny little foot hold, and then jump to another spot on the wall. I was in awe most of the time watching everyone. For most of them these walls were Molehills but for me they are mountains. I am determined to conquer these mountains!
I will definitely be trying this again and doing some workouts to help strengthen my forearms. It really was a great workout and it is so much fun when you finally get to the top!
Thanks Jamison for coming with me and not making me feel bad for not being able to do it as well as you! I appreciate the support! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment