I am a little late posting this as I was debating what I wanted to do as I have the unfortunate experience of being one of those participants who foodie penpal went MIA and unfortunately did not receive a package this month. I just have to say that it was not a pleasant experience knowing that I worked hard to put together a package for my foodie penpal and then did not get the joy that usually accompanies this program, you know the feeling like when it's christmas and you get to open all your presents. I will say this was of absolutely not fault but my foodie penpals. Lindsay did what she could to try and get in touch with them but like me had no luck. So Since I have no reveal and Amy who I sent a package to does not have a blog I am going to share her thoughts on her package. I hope that is allowed.
Amy was fantastic, when I emailed her asking about her diet and likes/dislikes she got right back to me. She told me she and her family try very hard to adhere to being vegan. I am not vegan and had never put together a vegan but I took this challenge and made it my mission to make sure everything fit within her life style. She was even nice enough to get her package a little bit later than usual as I was away until January 17th but made sure she got it within plenty of time.
Here is what she had to say about it:
Thank you so much for the box of delicious food. I'm eating some dark chocolate as I write this. We have had so much fun trying new things. My kids (I have 7 children ages 7 mo - 12) were enthralled with the coconut and plantains. They were curious about the seaweed and had fun trying to get each other to eat it. Today for lunch I broke out the chips and salsa. I have never had tomato-free salsa and I must say, we all loved it! Especially my husband. This is a high compliment coming from him. He grows heirloom tomatoes and we've lived in Mexico off and on over the years so he is picky about his salsa. It was delicious. We have enjoyed everything.
Your thoughtfulness did not go unnoticed by my daughter Hannah who commented, with delight, "We can eat all this stuff. It's all vegan, isn't it!" I must admit I plucked out the chocolate and the kids don't know it was ever in there. Just a little something for mommy. :)
I love Trader Joe's. I lived in Ohio and would drive an hour to Cincinnati to shop. We just got one in Utah and, again, it's an hour drive. I haven't made the trek but your box of goodies have tempted me to make it a priority.
Thanks again, Alyson. You made this such an enjoyable experience from your first upbeat, inquisitive email to this gorgeous box of food.
I was so thrilled that not only Amy enjoyed it but that she also got to share it with her family. This is what Foodie penpals is usually like and I can't wait for February's package! Here is the info for those of you that would like to take part in March's program:
- On the 5th of every month, you will receive your penpal pairing via email. It will be your responsibility to contact your penpal and get their mailing address and any other information you might need like allergies or dietary restrictions.
- You will have until the 15th of the month to put your box of goodies in the mail. On the last day of the month, you will post about the goodies you received from your penpal!
- The boxes are to be filled with fun foodie things, local food items or even homemade treats! The spending limit is $15. The box must also include something written. This can be anything from a note explaining what’s in the box, to a fun recipe…use your imagination!
- You are responsible for figuring out the best way to ship your items depending on their size and how fragile they are. (Don’t forget about flat rate boxes!)
- Foodie Penpals is open to blog readers as well as bloggers. If you’re a reader and you get paired with a blogger, you are to write a short guest post for your penpal to post on their blog about what you received. If two readers are paired together, neither needs to worry about writing a post for that month.
- Foodie Penplas is open to US, Canadian & European residents. Please note, Canadian Residents will be paired with other Canadians only. Same with Europeans. We’ve determined things might get too slow and backed up if we’re trying to send foods through customs across the border from US to Canada and vice versa.
You must submit your information by March 4th as pairings will be emailed on March 5th!
*If you’re from Europe, please CLICK HERE to signup.
Hope you go out and find your own adventure,