Sunday, August 7, 2011

Sunday Fun Day!

Given the fact that I have decided that I need to lead a healthier life that not only means exercising but also eating healthier foods as well. This is something that can be quite daunting especially trying to make everything from scratch. So I decided that sundays would be my day to prepare for the week (or at least get a head start anyway).

So I started my day by going out and getting all of the produce I would like for the week. I bought green beans, summer squash, broccoli, baby spinach, carrots, pineapple, bananas & cherries. When I got home the fun began!

First thing I did was think about breakfast. This is a very difficult time of day for me usually because I waste so much time in the morning doing other things that by the time I get around to breakfast I am already 5 minutes late leaving for work. 

So seeing that I love to cook (and of course eat) I subscribe to Rachael Rays magazine and in it was a recipe for a breakfast burrito which sounded really good and it was something that you can make ahead of time to just grab in the morning.

Breakfast Burrito  
To make this delicious burrito all you need is two strips of bacon cut into small pieces. Saute them over medium heat. While they are cooking take 3 cups fresh baby spinach and mince it. Just before the bacon is done add the spinach. It should take only a few minutes to cook. While that is cooking you need 4 eggs and 4 egg whites. Add any seasoning you would like to it (I added basil and garlic) put about 1/4 cup milk in and whisk away. Drain the spinach/bacon mixture and remove from the pan. Add the egg mixture and cook until it is still a little loose and then add the bacon/spinach mixture into the eggs and finish cooking for another minute or two. Just before you remove the pan from the heat add 1 cup shredded cheese (your favorite will work).

I used 3 large whole grain tortillas but you can use 6 small as well. Add a 1/3 of the eggs to each, roll them up and package it in aluminum foil and they are ready to go. When you are going to eat them cut them in half and one half is your serving. you can also put the egg mixture into a container and then add it to the tortilla to keep the tortilla a little fresher. Easy, yummy and you get something from every major food group!


Moving on to the next process. I cut/preped all the veggies. I like to pressure cook my veggies because it is quick and easy. You just throw them in with a little water, lock the lid, turn it on and once it's wobbling you cook it for max 3mins. Cool under cold running water until lid unlocks. They are all well cooked and ready to go. I usually drain into a colander and then put it the fridge to cool before I put them into containers to lessen the amount of moisture.


Summer Squash, Green Beans & Broccoli!
I then moved onto to lunch. I had some left over chicken from a dinner sometime this week so I took that and sliced it up. I also saved a little of the bacon/spinach mixture from my breakfast burrito. I took two whole grain tortillas put the chicken, spinach, bacon and shredded cheese into them and then made a quesadilla. I was able to use that to make 3 lunches taking 2 triangles of the quesadilla for each day (this is where the getting a head start on the week came in).

Quesadilla
I was then thinking about how when I am about ready to head out to the gym it is that in between time of afternoon snack and dinner. So I decided to make my own smoothies, well sort of. I was recently exposed to yoplaits frozen fruit/yogurt smoothy mixture that you can find in the freezer section at the grocery store and you just add milk. However I happen to think that they are quite expensive and you only get enough to make 2 smoothies. So here is my crack at it:

1 cup fresh strawberries (which I already had so I did not purchase them today)
1 large banana
1 cup fresh pineapple
1 cup yogurt (try different flavors)
1/4 cup sugar or you can substitute that for 2 tbls of honey


Take all the fruit and cut it up. Add everything to a food processor. Puree until smooth, then you can pour the mixture into ice cube trays and freeze it. When you are ready to use it I used 3-4 cubes (you may need more or less depending on what size your ice cube tray is) and 1 cup of milk. Blend it in the blender and then you are ready to drink away!
Frozen Yogurt

I also have some pre-made little baggies of whole wheat pasta in the freezer all set to use for a lunch or dinner. And I was able to make a fruit salad to add to my lunch as well. 

So what I have gotten out of my Sunday fun day today is that by taking a few hours to do all of this I just saved myself probably double that for the rest of the week. My breakfasts and lunches are made. Everything but the protein part of my dinners is made, and I just have to throw some frozen smoothy cubes and milk into the blender and then head out to the gym. I am very happy with what I have been able to accomplish today and I just wanted to share with everyone who like me has a hard time finding the time during the busy week to cook healthy food that if you prepare ahead of time it is a lot easier than we all think and you in the end are benefiting even more.

1 comment:

  1. You should make double each week and then share with me!

    ReplyDelete