Sunday, July 15, 2012

Fruit Gone Bad!

So I don't know about any of you but I always buy fresh fruit and will take it along as a snack, add it to my yogurt or cereal or use it as a side to a meal. However it never fails that I some how never use it fast enough before it spoils. I absolutely hate throwing food away so I try and find a way to use it without having to throw it in the garbage. (I thought about starting compost but I just don't have the mind to wrap around figuring out how to do it). 

I decided that I needed to figure out what the one meal my house never seems to have time for is? That would be breakfast! We are not morning people so trying to have some breakfast before leaving the house usually doesn't happen so I came up with a muffin recipe. The great part about it is, there is no flavor to it so whatever fruit you happen to have you can add to it and the batter will absorb that flavor. YUM!

So I happen to always over buy strawberries. And since I decided to bike to the farm stand yesterday and squished a carton of strawberries in my backpack on the ride home, I figured what better way to use them up!

Muffin Recipe:
1/4 C. Canola Oil
1/2 C. Milk
1 Egg
1 3/4 C. Flour
1/2 C. Sugar
2 Tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 Tsp. Salt
1 C. Chopped Fruit

-Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Place paper liners in a 12 cupcake pan.
-In a small bowl combine oil, milk and egg. Beat Slightly. 
-In a large bowl mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
-Toss in chopped fruit and stir to coat with flour mixture.
-Pour in wet ingredients and stir together.
-Fill all 12 muffin cups and bake for 25 minutes or until tops bounce back from touch.
-Cool 10 minutes and remove from pan to finish cooling or serve warm!


They come out fantastic! They are so tasty too!
I have substituted apple, blueberries, cherries and peaches and they always come out delicious. Give them a try and let me know what you think.

Happy Tasting!

No comments:

Post a Comment